Saturday, February 10, 2024

Week 5 - Developing mathematical pedagogies that integrate embodied, multisensory, outdoors and arts-based modalities

Reading - Reconfiguring mathematical settings and activity through multi-party, whole body collaboration - Kelton & Ma

The reading that I chose for this week explains two studies that use different approaches to embodied learning. The first involves a middle school class and a walking scale number line, focusing on integers and then their opposites, but also safe ways to get from one place to the other. They are using the space (gym) that they are very familiar with, but in a different context. The students each represent a different number on their living number line. The second case has elementary students "participate in a ratio-and-proportion activity called whole and half" (Kelton & Ma, 2018). The teacher had the students get up, one student making a space between their two hands, and the other trying to find the middle by placing their hands between their partners. In a specific example, partner A would make the activity harder and harder for partner B, eventually using parts of their classroom in a different context than usual.

For the "stops" to the reading this week, I took notes of whenever I could relate these examples to my own teaching experiences. The first one relates to the walking scale number line. Two years ago during a math intervention session, one of my students had difficulty counting on from a number. When I would prompt her with how far away is 18 from 12, she would always begin with 12, and her answers would be one too many. Without learning subtraction yet, her and I made a walking number line. She made all of the numbers, each on a piece of paper, and laid them down from 1-20. She then started on 12, then lept her way to 18, counting her jumps as she went along. This learning moment made her realize that the answer was six instead of seven, which then laid the foundation for subtraction. She later let me know that she pictures herself doing that activity in her head to help her with her counting. 

My second stop relates to how both of the studies not only de-centered the room, but used the gym and the classroom in a different context than what the students were used to. One of my classes favourite activity is when we turn our class into stations of Non-Permanent Vertical Surfaces. At least once a unit, students are grouped at a different station, where they write on each of the whiteboards, the Smartboard, and their favourite station, the windows of the classroom. They get so excited by this idea, and are always eager to start the problem solving activity. 

My question this week: In your varied experiences, in either your classrooms or through observing or coaching other teachers, have you incorporated any embodied or multi-sensory experiences? If so, what did they look like? 


Part 2 - Videos and activity

Weekly Intro

The intro has me relating to parents who tell me that they don't understand the "new math", and "that's not how I did it when I was in school". I would usually battle this sentiment, but this course seems to accept it as fact. While it's not "new" math, we are trying to evolve our practices to ultimately be more beneficial to the learners. Through a math leadership role in my school, I need to remind both myself and other teachers that, as Susan says, the shift is not from one extreme to the other. We need to teach both ways, in an integrated, meaningful way. Further into the intro video, a statement such as "some students prefer the static, but it's not the majority" does make me want to look deeper into studies that have measured this. Is it true that the majority of students don't prefer the traditional way of learning math? I would think so, but is there evidence?

Video Response

I decided to look more into the Sarah Chase video. Before the video concluded, I had jumped ahead to test a theory that I had. I had wondered if the patterns would work if the numbers weren't prime. I made a sketch of a 4 step repeated pattern vs. a 6 step repeated pattern. As I had assumed, the patterns reset at 12, the lowest common multiple, rather than 24, 4x6. My sketch below is evidence of my experiment. As I continued the video, I laughed to myself as the presenter explained that she sometimes lets people make the mistake of choosing numbers of 6 against 8 and seeing what happens (similar to what I just did). Incorporating dance of movement sequences as Sarah does makes for strong cross-curricular connections between Phys. Ed. (non-locomotor movements) and Math.

Activity

As mentioned, the picture below shows how I extended the video. In grade 6 math, part of our curriculum has a focus on factors and multiples. One of the questions that I made on our last test read: Sammy and Suzie both work at the Riverview Cineplex (the movie theatre in town). They love working together, but Sammy only works every 4th day, while Suzie works every 6th day. If they both work together today, how many days will it be until they work together again? 

The question has real-life context, and students are to find the Lowest Common Multiple between 4 and 6. Students may use whatever strategy they wish to get to their answer. Some sketch out their thinking, while many know to quickly calculate the LCM. The latter group of students more often get the incorrect answer, as they all need to remember that Suzie and Sammy work together today, which would be day one, so they need to add one to their LCM. The question continues with different names (e.g. John works every 9th day. When will he work with Sammy? When will he work with Suzie?) To extend the question gives the students more opportunity to show their understanding of the concept of lowest common multiples. 


References:

Kelton, M. L., & Ma, J. Y. (2018). Reconfiguring mathematical settings and activity through multi-party, whole-body collaboration. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 98(2), 177-196. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10649-018-9805-8

Sarah Chase: Dancing combinatorics, phases and tides (long version 13:35)



4 comments:

  1. Hey Pat,

    Excuse me for inserting myself into your conversation. I'm finding these small groups a little isolating and I miss our bigger group discussions.

    To your question about incorporating embodied experiences, I've always been big on embodied experiences because I was a kid who was always on the move and I prefer to accommodate movement than to constantly be harping on kids to 'sit still.' I do find it challenging particularly with young kids because they are still learning how to be in space (not bumping into each other) and how to regulate their excitement when the classroom has lots of sensory stimulation (sound, movement, lots to look at, etc). When I did whole bodied graphing with my grade 4/5's and found I spent more time choreographing their bodies than we did examining the math. Which led me to the conclusion that I needed to build a routine of movement activity to get students used to this mode of learning. Kagan has a number of cooperative structures like 4 corners and spectrum lines that Ss could do say once a week to get used to this way of learning so it's less novel and exciting. I'm still exploring.

    https://www.kaganonline.com/about_us.php

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have bookmarked this page for further exploration. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Hi Pat,
    I enjoyed your reflection upon your experiences with number lines. This course has had me think through potential embodied number line activities in the gym, especially as I am working with teachers from grades 1 to 12. Sometime, I think should I use meter sticks as the numbers or should I remove the numbers and allow students to estimate and then place the meter sticks.
    For example I thought about high school geometric sequences (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, … or the reverse (32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1, 0.5, …) and representing them on paper number line. However, we could go to the gym, and I ask two students to stand somewhat close to each other. Then have the next student double that distance, and so on. Then try out more complex common ratios like ¾ or 4/3.
    There could be lots of debrief opportunities, especially how the concrete/experiential relates to the symbolic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat,

    I really like the idea you brought forward related to disrupting the idea of what a traditional classroom looks and feels like. I think there is great power in taking students to a space such as the gym and explaining that math class can take place in spaces such as the gym. Your example of using vertical surfaces in the class is an easy to implement idea that contributes to re-imagining what math education looks like.

    ReplyDelete

Final Project (Draft)

 Hi everyone, Here is the link to the draft of our final project (Pat and Dahlia).  Final Project - Draft Thanks, Pat