The reading I chose this week, titled "Multimodality and mathematical meaning-making: Blind students' interaction with Symmetry" examined a study of blind students' interaction with symmetry. There were two subjects. One (Edson) who lost his vision at age 15, and the other (Lucas) who had lost his vision at age two, and had no memory of seeing throughout his life. The study used three "epistemological phases" of development, inspired by the work of Piaget and Garcia (1987), to understand the depth of their understanding: intrafigural, interfigural and transfigural.
The first portion of the article discussed the different historical epistemologies. Through the short summaries of different theories, there were many stops. Diderot, for example, was a big believer in embodied learning, saying that "knowledge has three entrances to reach our mind, and we keep one barricaded for the lack of signs (Diderot, 1979)". He was of course referring to the eyes, ears, and hands. Other theories that I found interesting included Descartes belief that the pineal gland is the "site of the soul and location in which information from the sense organs was transformed in order that the actions of the body might be controlled (Healy & Fernandes, 2013), or Locke's "view of the human soul as a "blank sheet" at the moment of birth on which nothing is initially "written" (Healy & Fernandes, 2013)". The theories and subsequent critiques offered an enjoyable argumentative read.
The second half of the article discussed the study itself. Both subjects had some guidance from the interviewer, with Edson's being more direct. Edson was struggling with the concept of reflection over the line of symmetry, and the interviewer asked him to picture a mirror. Edson had the capacity to visualize the mirror, and continued his work with this visualization playing an integral role. With Lucas, the instructor didn't have that option, so he helped Lucas along with a couple of guiding questions, relating to Lucas' prior knowledge of geometry. The entire study and its results acted as a stop for me, as I as well used visualization, putting myself in the interviewers shoes and nodding along with the direction of the sessions.
The researchers were very surprised with how both students used their hands. For me, the article does help with strategies if I ever am working with a blind student, but also it's a stark reminder on "how hands can be used to conceive mathematical objects (Healy & Fernandes, 2013)". It has pushed me to try to incorporate more "bodily groundings" to my present and future math lessons.
Part 2 -
My favourite quote from the introduction was the sentence "A person might have a particular impairment, but the disability results from a restriction that disadvantages and oppresses the person, rather than from the person's own way of being." I believe that the stigma behind the challenges that someone with an impairment brings to the classroom need to be addressed. I too often hear complaints about the "disabilities" that a classroom may present. I would much rather restructure that sentiment into excited discussions about the different changes in conditions and teaching methods that have proved successful for both the teacher and the student. Through interactions with staff and others in the profession, I will try to make this reframing of the narrative a goal of mine.
I absolutely loved the videos, and have already shared them with a couple of colleagues. You can tell why the presenter has earned the following that she has. While I haven't had the chance to show them to my students, I would expect to give them the tools while watching the video, or different shapes to begin with, so that they can use their additional senses for deeper understanding.
I am self-admittedly not the best with art. Watching the video's had me a little anxious when I thought of trying it for myself. I tried the method without the template, but had to give up shortly thereafter, with a ball of crumpled paper beside me. Thankfully there was a template on Pinterest, and that made all of the difference. To make the Hexaflexagon requires skills that will develop with practice, and I look forward to getting better and better so that I am confident enough to be able to lead the classroom through the activities.
References:
PIAGET, J. & GARCIA, R. (1987). Psicogênese e História das Ciências. Lisboa: Dom
Quixote, Cap. 3 e 4.

Hey Pat,
ReplyDeleteI found the descriptions of learning theories in your summary interesting. As I was reading, I thought back to last week’s discussions that invoked thoughts about AI. Would there be a way to enter all the theories and studies into AI and have them produce the optimal balance of theories for a particular student or learning environment.
In the study, what objects did the researchers use to model or explore reflections? Were they tactile shapes or did they attempt to use visualizations of mental objects? I think I would explain reflections using mirror imaged tactile shapes by placing them beside one another and folding them up like a book. Or perhaps tactilely exploring a book for reflective symmetry of shape, this would exclude the words not being reflections.
I can relate to your experience and goal “I too often hear complaints about the "disabilities" that a classroom may present. I would much rather restructure that sentiment into excited discussions about the different changes in conditions and teaching methods that have proved successful for both the teacher and the student. Through interactions with staff and others in the profession, I will try to make this reframing of the narrative a goal of mine.” I get tired of hearing the deficit mindset. However, when I work with teachers, I often unknowingly revert to approaching the problem from the engrained medical model. Almost like we need an “accountable buddy”, if you hear me doing it, call my attention to it.
Hi Shawn,
ReplyDeleteThey used Geoboards, where both students were able to use their hands to identify the shape, and then feel the line of symmetry. The researchers took special note of how and how quickly both students used their hands during their experiment. It would be an interesting activity to have the students blindfolded, then try a reflection on a geoboard, and see how close they are to the correct answer. I believe that it would be a way for them to deeper their understanding of the characteristics of the shape.
Not sure what happened to my previous comment, but here it is again!
ReplyDeleteThe study you mentioned sounds fascinating. The summary and stops you wrote had me thinking about how I reference certain things with my students and they may have never scene or experienced them before. The student who lost their vision at age 15 had experiences to connect to, yet the student who had spent the majority of their life without sight was unable to use experiences as prior knowledge. This study reinforces the importance of explicit instruction for all learners and to incorporate visuals and hands on ways of learning. It would be interesting to do a learner style inventory with students to see which students respond best to different modes of instruction.